What is your Physical Goal for the next 30 days?
What Actions can you take each day that is going to move you toward this Physical Goal?
I was thinking about this question the other day while I was working with a client in my Bauer Physical Therapy Clinic. It has been awhile since I have even attempted to run much distance. A few years ago, for the first time in my life, I experienced knee pain and swelling. No reason. Just started hurting a few days after I did some housework (so I guess there was a reason). Well, I chalked this up to my youth (well spent vs. mis-spent). There were sports (catching, football, many jumps off my right leg), there was that water skiing incident, there were many backpack trips in the High Sierra, and ill-preparation to keep up with the kids on the practice field. And… I am 50 years old.
Back to the thought about running.
the very day I had this thought a patient handed me a book on barefoot running. This had to be a sign. Not running barefoot, as my feet are way too tender. But maybe I could accomplish this on my own playing field.
What if did something about this thought and put it to test.
How about running a 5K at the Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving in less that 21 minutes (Personal Goal). My last 5K, at least five years ago, was run in 24 minutes.
And, since I don’t like running on roads (hurts my knees/afraid of cars), I will prepare completely on the Football Field (good surface/like the yard markers). This way, even if I did want to run barefooted, I would be running on a surface and in an environment that I was totally comfortable with.
What is going to take to complete this Personal Goal? ACTION!!!
4 Week Goals
- Run 2 times per week for next 4 weeks.
- I will run 2000 meters each session.
- I will run at 26 minute 5K pace.
- This is equal to 1560 seconds = (26 min. x 60 sec/min.)
5000 meters / 1560 sec. = 3.2 m/sec.
100 meters / 3.2 m/sec. = 31 sec.
- I will run this distance until I can complete in less than 12 minutes (this includes time it takes to run 100m and start my next repetition.
- Bike 1 time per week to get my legs strong without the pounding.
- Strengthen my legs with weights:
- leg presses, 1/4 squats, and single leg squats (all with light dumbells)
- 2 sets of 10-15 reps.
- Stretching Daily
- My next entry will include some mat stretches that I teach runners to do all the time.
What is your Physical Goal?
What are your Actions for the next 4 weeks that are going to get you there?
Make your Personal Goal:
Complete the following form. Share this with a friend. Put it out there. This will hold you accountable and keep you on track.